reducing accidents at work (fox et al, 1987)
- fox et al. investigated the use of a token economy to reward workers for not having accidents or injuries for a specified amount of time.
- the study was conducted at 2 open pit mines and their associated product processing plants. both were in the USA.
- prior to the study, the no. of days lost from work due to injuries in one of the mines was over 8 times the natural average at the other mine.
- in the 5 years preceding this study, 2 people had been killed and 1 had suffered a permanent disability.
- the 2 settings were similar in many ways, used the same mining procedures and were of similar sizes.
- injuries had occurred in all areas of both mines but were particularly associated with the use and maintenance of heavy equipment.